Sunday, February 3, 2008

Why I chose to birth unmedicated!

I thought that it might be fun to let others know how I came to have babies without epidurals. When I became pregnant with my first son, my husband and I approached birth completely unprepared. We attended a short class at the hospital and learned about the process of birth, but we had no clues about interventions, or what to ACTUALLY expect from the labor process. When I woke up one bright May morning and realized that my "water had broke" I paced around the house completely dismayed, I honestly had no idea what I was supposed to do. After cleaning and packing I woke up my husband and told him that we might need to go to the hospital.

We arrived at the hospital around 7:30 in the morning and it was determined that my water had indeed broke! We were quickly admitted to a labor room and left alone. We remained in that room for 4 hours with not so much as a peak from a nurse or my CNM. Eventually the contractions became very intense and not knowing what was to come, I pushed on the call light and said "Uh... this hurts." They sent in the anesthesiologist to administer my epidural. I would love to thank that anesthesiologist for doing such a HORRIBLE job! The placement was very not typical and after 45 minutes of his prodding I was left with an epidural, however, I had accidentally been given a spinal as well. I was completely limp from the waste down. When he was finally finished it was determined that I was complete! So there I sat... waiting to have enough feeling to push out my son. The staff suggested I take a nap! 2 hours passed and they finally decided that I should try to push. About an hour and a half later I had my son. Completely pain free, and completely empty. It was so strange. Here was this beautiful baby who had apparently come from my own body, but I felt nothing.

In October of that year, just 5 months after my son was born, I realized that I was pregnant AGAIN!! I decided to go to the same midwife practice where I mentioned that I wasn't sure if I wanted an epidural this time. My pregnancy was a fun emotional roller coaster for us all and when it was finally time to deliver my son an angel walked through the doors to attend us. She looked in my chart and read that somewhere along the way I had said that I wanted to try and go "unmedicated". That was all she needed and the birthing began. She was like a doula, never left my side! She helped me change positions, use the birth ball, get in the tub, breath, dance, whatever was comfortable. I never asked for medication and SHE NEVER OFFERED THEM!! I knew that if I asked she would be HAPPY to get anesthesia there immediately... but I also KNEW that she knew I could do it! It was an amazing and exhilarating experience. When my second son was born it was the most surreal moment of my life. I had birthed my baby all by myself. No IV, not strapped to the bed, it was as natural as I could imagine birth ever being! It was beautiful!

I have since given birth another beautiful son... 5 years after my second son was born. The thought of an epidural never crossed my mind. I had gained great faith in my body and the birthing process (and so had my husband) from experiencing it in all it's glory. I also chose to take a hypnobirthing course for this birth. The class taught me so much about relaxation and I delivered my third son after a 3.5 hour labor which was augmented by pitocin due to an impatient care provider. The experience was very exilerating however, I missed the support I had recieved from my previous midwife. Her belief in me and determination to help me achieve my goal is what got me through the previous labor, and it gave me the strength to know that I could do it the 3rd time around.

I believe in birth! I know that woman are strong. Birth can be hard, there's no question about that, but a lot of things we do in life are hard. It is the hardest challenges that reap the greatest rewards, and hey, I'm always up for a challenge!

No comments: