Friday, September 12, 2008

Doulas and Personal Trainers

I have recently started a fitness study that gives me a FREE personal trainer for 9 visits. (It's a 21-day study). Now a personal trainer is a luxury I would NEVER have thought to give myself because I have a hard time spending money on myself and really could never justify the extra expense. Interestingly enough... my passion for doula work has helped me understand how important a trainer is. Here's my comparison:

As a doula I do not look at my clients and say; "well... I'm not sure if you can do this but we'll try!" I really KNOW that they can succeed, that any obstacles can be dealt with. I give support and encouragement and really good information and believe in the body and it's ability to birth babies. I think this is why having a doula is so effective. Just having someone supporting you that knows that you can do it and reminds you of your goals makes a huge difference.

My trainer looks at me the exact same way I look at my clients. He doesn't look at me and think... "Hmm... there is no way this woman is ever going to run a 5k" he actually KNOWS that I can do it. Now of course he understands that I am the only person standing in my way (short of an injury) and he also understands the importance of having good support. He would never look at me and say... "yup you can't do it... better quit!" or "jeez are you okay, you look like you are dieing!" He pushes me and reminds me of my goals all the while KNOWING that I am capable. He believes in the body and it's ability to be fit!

The moral of the story? Mastering your goals is always easier when you have support from an amazing person who KNOWS how achievable your goals really are... even if you aren't so sure yourself.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree! I know having your confidence at my birth made all the difference in the world!