Saturday, September 22, 2007

Welcome to my world!

I guess I wanted my very first post to talk a little about why I'm here. After the birth of my last son I realized how much is pushed on women during labor. I was astounded and saddened by the interventions I was told I had to succumb to, I had no idea that I had a choice and really no way to make informed decisions regarding these interventions because I was uninformed. In discovering the doula world I was thrilled and astonished by the evidence based research regarding the lack of necessity for most of the interventions that have become standard practice in many obstetrical practices. It is with the anticipation of the birth of my little sisters first child that I have become enthralled in child birth and the role of a doula in preventing interventions including: tearing, episiotomies, use of pitocin, use of forceps/vacuum, requests for epidurals and most importantly the ability for a woman to look at her birth experience as an all around positive experience. I am not anti-epidural or anti-intervention! I just want to empower and educate women and their partners about the benefits, risks, and necessity of all interventions so they can make decisions in an informed way and have control over their births! Birth is an event in life that touches you forever! I would love to help women look back on the experience with an overwhelming sense of accomplishment and joy.

1 comment:

Nicholette said...

I love your new site! I hope that you get many people to come and visit it and many who want to hire your services!!! I am so glad you are doing something that you are so passionate about! It makes life so much more liveable. I will definently hire you!